From Virginia, USA:

My husband, age 33, was diagnosed 7 months ago as a typical Type 2 diabetic. He was put on oral medications, and basically told to lose weight (he is overweight). His sugars responded well to the medications. His range is very stable, but sometimes in the upper 100's to very low 200's (220 or less). Our doctor moved so he went to a new one who now is telling him that he is a Type 1. We keep in contact with our other doctor, who was our friend, and he says that without insulin for 7 months he would be in very bad shape if he were a Type 1. All of the tests before pointed to Type 2. The test that measures how much insulin he makes was right at the normal range. We are very confused now that two doctors say the exact opposite of each other. I think he is going to see another doctor to get this all straight. Please give me your views.

Since he was an overweight adult when diagnosed, and has had a partial response to oral medications, it sounds to me that he's more likely to be Type 2. I will assume from your e-mail that your husband's previous doctor did antibody testing, and that it was negative.

It really doesn't matter that much in this case if he's labeled as Type 1 or Type 2. What does matters is that he get his blood sugar and his weight to appropriate levels. His blood sugar levels are still too high, and additional therapy seems to be warranted. If your husband is not yet on them, ask your new doctor about combining a sulfonylurea with metformin and/or troglitazone. (If he's on a combination of pills, and still having high blood sugar levels, he ought to be on insulin.)