Question:

From El Paso, Texas, USA:

What does it mean when they say that your diabetes is out of control? Does it mean that a person has a very short time to live? My dad is 47 years old and was told he out of control diabetes, but the thing that worries me most is that this is the first time he was told that he has the disease. Please tell me in detail.

Answer:

"Out of control" does not refer to a very short life expectancy, so you can start to relax just a bit.

The term is used to indicate that the person's blood sugar levels are elevated above the target range for that person. (Of course, that means that somebody must have set up a target range previously!)

If the blood sugar levels stay elevated for a period of a few weeks or more, then another test, the glycohemoglobin, will also be elevated.

And finally, if the glycohemoglobin remains elevated, studies show that the risk of future complications is increased.

WWQ