Question:

From Erie, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have a 10 year old nephew who has Type 1 diabetes. I have just heard that juvenile diabetes is caused by a virI have just heard that juvenile diabetes is caused by a virus. Is this possible?

Answer:

I'm afraid that we don't yet know the cause of diabetes. It is highly unlikely that there is a single cause but rather that there a number of different insults which can trigger the progress towards diabetes in genetically susceptible individuals. The latter doesn't mean that you need to come from a family with diabetes - 90% of new patients don't.

Viral infections are just one of the areas being actively researched.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.