Question:

From South Africa:

My daughter, 11 years old, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. It is possible to get diabetes because she had too many sweets when she was younger?

Answer:

It is exceedingly improbable that eating sweets had any role getting your daughter's developing Type 1 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease (which means that the pancreatic beta cell death is caused by the body's self-defense mechanisms, called the immune system, directed against pancreatic beta cells and ultimately causing insulin deficiency). How this happens is still not clearly understood, which is why so many researchers around the world are working in finding its cause (or causes).

My advice is to keep good control of your daughter's blood sugar level, and ensure that she takes her insulin and attends her pediatric diabetes clinic.