Question:

From Charleston, South Carolina, USA:

I recently met a 41 year old man who has had juvenile diabetes since age 6. I have very strong feelings for this person. How can I interact positively with him? I do want to pity him or try to "help" him. But in order for our relationship to go further I need to know how to break down the barrier he has imposed in order for people not to get close because of his diabetes.

Answer:

People can set up barriers to prevent others from getting close to them for many reasons. Diabetes can be one reason, but there may be others.

I suggest you just try to relate to this person the same way you would to anyone else without diabetes. Find out what he likes to do in his spare time, what foods he likes to eat, what he likes to read, what sports or music he likes. If the relationship grows, hopefully he will feel comfortable sharing information about his diabetes with you too. In the meantime, you can read and learn about diabetes on your own.

Good luck to both of you!