From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

Can you give me some of the typical first signs of diabetes? Several people seem to think my son may have diabetes due to constant thirst, very frequent urination (11 times in 5 hours the other day) constantly hungry, irritable, moody and seems to feel better after eating. After reading some of these posts, I also see a connection with infections. He has had chronic sinusitis since he was 4 months old. He is now almost 4, and I am really wondering what to do next.

Certainly the symptoms you describe in your son could be due to diabetes and could also indeed have other causes. You should arrange with his doctor to have a urine specimen tested for sugar and to have a fasting blood sugar level measured. These are simple tests for which there can be an immediate answer. If any further confirmation is needed and especially if there is any family history of Type 1 Diabetes you should ask your doctor to arrange an "antibody test," details can be obtained by calling 1-800-425-8361. If you are from a Hispanic or African-American background this test may be less definitive though.