Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from June 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am interested in learning how other Type 1 diabetics regulate their daily injections, meals, and monitoring, to attain a target range of glucose levels during the course of each day. I primarily find problems with overnight levels that are fine at bedtime, but rise in the morning. (29 Jun 97)

2. I'm considering switching my 12 year old son from syringe insulin injections to one of the "pen" type injection devices. Is there any reason to be concerned about making this switch from one device to another? (29 Jun 97)

3. After 36 years of injecting as a Type 1, I have areas of my body that have indentations and also "bumps." Even when I am not injecting into these areas any more, they remain the same. Will I have these forever? Is there anything I can do to even them out? (29 Jun 97)

4. My daughter complained of severe joint pain right before she was diagnosed with diabetes. She was only 2 1/2 at the time and I don't think that it was growing pains. Could there be a connection, and if so what? (26 Jun 97)

5. I am 28 years old, insulin dependent for 12 1/2 years. In the past few months, when I do my shots in the front and inner part of my thighs and in my lower abdomen I get raised red areas that are fairly sore to touch. I am wondering what is causing these raised areas to develop. (26 Jun 97)

6. I'm a sixteen year old male diabetic. I take good care of myself. Is there anywhere I can contact runners or soccer players? I feel like it is hard to train for sports as a diabetic. I also need to know how to lose weight as a diabetic. (26 Jun 97)

7. A number of patients have recently inquired into the purported efficacy of chromium supplements for diabetics. Reportedly, chromium aids insulin and promotes better glucose control. I'm skeptical. Have there been controlled, double-blind studies that support the use of chromium in diabetes? (26 Jun 97)

8. What are normal blood glucose levels? I have a family history of diabetes and have had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies that started at 6 weeks of gestation. I have been monitoring my blood sugars and they seem high. Is there a test to determine if I have diabetes and which type it is? (26 Jun 97)

9. Could undiagnosed diabetes be the cause of this 12 year old girl's behavior disorders: Ungovernable, mood swings, behavior problems of any kind? (26 Jun 97)

10. I have a girlfriend that has diabetes and there are days that she gets angry and doesn't want to eat, and I don't know how to make her understand that she needs to eat. Another question I have is if pancreas transplants can be done. (26 Jun 97)

11. My husband is 45 years old and is a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed at age 35. Our daughter that is 24 years old was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic at age 10. She just had a baby a year ago, pregnancy went fine, had a perfect little baby. Is there much chance of her baby developing Type 1 diabetes? (26 Jun 97)

12. I am a 16 year old diabetic and am interested in getting a insulin pump. I have heard many stories of how the pump has helped people. I am very active. I am going to be on the swim team at my high school and I am currently in soccer. Does activity preclude the use of an insulin pump? (26 Jun 97)

13. Why is it that diabetics aren't always told that a high-fibre diet can help to lower blood sugar levels as well as lessen the amounts of insulin needed? (26 Jun 97)

14. Is itchy skin a symptom of diabetes? If it is, what can I do to relieve it? (26 Jun 97)

15. My son has been outside playing since summer started. He is six and has had diabetes for two years. His numbers are falling anywere from 45 to 100. I started decreasing his insulin and giving him more food. His doctor told me to continue giving him the same insulin doses as when he was 180 to 250. (26 Jun 97)

16. My son was diagnosed two months ago, just a couple of weeks before his second birthday. We saw a dietitian briefly at the hospital, and I have spoken with the dietitian at our pediatrician's office once for about 10 minutes. Is this normally all the dietary instruction a parent receives? (24 Jun 97)

17. Our five year old son suffered onset of diabetes two weeks ago. Ten months ago, prior to our move to Southeast Asia, he received early all his age 5 immunizations. Is it possible that we overloaded his young system with all of these immunizations, thereby causing failure of his pancreas and the development of diabetes? (24 Jun 97)

18. I have recently befriended a diabetic and am concerned about her health. My problem is that she does not appear to be serious about the timing or diet. As a friend, should I even bother tell her what is best? (24 Jun 97)

19. I am 26 years old and have had diabetes (Type 1) for two years. I give me self a shot three (3) times a day in my legs and sometimes stomach. I weigh 100 pounds. I am now swelling in my inner thigh which looks like bubbles on my legs. Is there is any other place I can give myself a shot or a way to stop it from swelling up so much? (24 Jun 97)

20. I have a 9 year old Type 1 diabetic daughter who was diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago. After getting over a virus, she went swimming at a friend's home and got sunburn. Since then, her sugar levels have been high. Is there any relationship between sunburn and high sugar levels? (24 Jun 97)

21. What would happen if someone who did not have diabetes took some insulin orally? (24 Jun 97)

22. My l0 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for almost two years. His middle-of-the-night blood sugars always range from the mid 200s to the mid 300s. We are told this is quite unusual but can anything be done about it? (24 Jun 97)

23. I am looking for information on skin complications associated with diabetes. My doctors do not have an answer for a "spot" I have on my leg. (17 Jun 97)

24. My daughter will be three in June and very eager to learn. I am looking for a pre-school for her that will administer shots to her as she might need it. Everywhere I check, the pre-school will check her blood sugars, but no one will give her a shot if she needs it. (17 Jun 97)

25. Our 9 year old daughter had a 5 hr glucose tolerance done two days ago to see if she is hypoglycemic. The doctor said she seems to be hypoglycemic. I am concerned because we still do not know that she really has hypoglycemia. What can I tell from the readings from the glucose test? (17 Jun 97)

26. I have a life-long aversion to pin-prick blood testing. I am an adult with Type 2 and must self-monitor. Because of my phobia, I refuse. Are there any alternatives? Are they practical? There must be others like me who absolutely dread this procedure and who have some solution. (17 Jun 97)

27. Our doctor has advised us that our 6 year old daughter may develop diabetes, as her pancreas is underfunctioning. Could you tell us a bit more about this and what diet would you recommend, and what foods to avoid? (17 Jun 97)

28. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed almost 4 years ago. She has been in the hospital twice in the past 3 months with DKA. Both times she got sick, she spent the night away from home. Can stressful situations cause her to get DKA within a 24 hour time frame? (17 Jun 97)

29. My daughter, now 20, was diagnosed 9 years ago. I just heard that 80% of Type 1 diabetics will develop retinopathy by the time they've had diabetes for 15 years and 50% at 10 years. Is this true? (17 Jun 97)

30. I am a 33 year old female, 5'2" 138 lbs. What are normal blood glucose levels? I have a family history of diabetes and have had insulin dependant gestational diabetes with both pregnancies that started at 6 weeks of gestation. Is there a test to determine if I have diabetes and which type it is? (17 Jun 97)

31. I'm female, age 39, Type 1 diabetes for 25 years. I have just recently started using Humalog. Can I mix Humalog and NPH insulin in the same shot? (17 Jun 97)

32. I recently read an article about a possible breakthrough in treating diabetes. University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester have discovered a way to fool a mouse's immune system into accepting transplants of pancreatic islet cells which produce insulin. How long before studies begin on humans? (17 Jun 97)

33. My 4 year old nephew was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago. Recently his pediatrician determined he is 5 inches under his normal height. Is this the result of the diabetes? (13 Jun 97)

34. My daughter, age 12, has had two low sugar reactions this week. One very serious (completely comatose) the other not so bad. She recently started on lispro. Is this a common complaint when changing to new insulins? (13 Jun 97)

35. Is there any coincident finding of loss of smell due to diabetes? (13 Jun 97)

36. I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed 2 years ago. I have noticed some discoloration of his teeth. Is this from the insulin? (13 Jun 97)

37. My 10 month old son has been experiencing growth problems for 6 months now. My pediatrician believes he may have Renal Acidosis. He tells me his glucose levels in his urine are fine, but my son experiences a lot of the symptoms of Type 1 diabetes. (13 Jun 97)

38. My 10 year-old son has started to get nosebleeds in the middle of the night. Can low blood sugar cause the blood to become thin, causing bleeding? (13 Jun 97)

39. My endocrinologist recently told me that I might have transient diabetes. He told me a little about it, but I would like to learn more about it. Can you be of some assistance? (8 Jun 97)

40. Use of insulin injection "pens" in US is 1%, but 60% in Europe. Are pens any good? (8 Jun 97)

41. I was looking for a list of fruits and their natural sugar content. Can you help? (8 Jun 97)

42. We have two diabetic sons, ages 16 and 12. They were diagnosed 8 years ago, three weeks apart. Is this unusual? Should we keep a watch on our 14 year old daughter? (8 Jun 97)

43. I have a 14 year old grandson who has just been diagnosed diabetic and put on insulin. Given the strong history of diabetes in our family, is there a reasonable probability that he has MODY, and what questions should be asked of his general physician? (8 Jun 97)

44. I am a foreign student doing my Ph.D in America. I am going to bring over my 6-year old son who has Type 1 diabetes. Is it possible to buy the appropriate insurance which would cover all supplies and doctor visits? (8 Jun 97)

45. Could you please inform me about any mailing list that are "active" about diabetes, especially the matter of "children with diabetes"? I did try several but they apparently are inactive. (8 Jun 97)

46. My cousin's daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She was recently seen by an orthopedic doctor who believes she may have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. Just prior to the diagnosis of the diabetes, she had Lichen Striatus diagnosed. Aren't all of these disorders autoimmune in basis? (8 Jun 97)

47. Is there any research being done on the safety of Humalog during pregnancy? If not, why? If so, where can I get information on it? This is very important to thousands of diabetic women. (8 Jun 97)

48. I am a 26-year-old who has had Type 1 diabetes for 14 years. My husband and I have decided to try to have a baby. My doctor recently switched my insulin to Humalog and now I'm reading that Humalog's effects on pregnant women and their babies has not yet been studied. Is it safe? (8 Jun 97)

49. How often should glucose monitors be replaced? I have a One-Touch II and I've been wondering about the accuracy. I'm not sure how long I've had it - probably about 7 years. (8 Jun 97)

50. I am the Director of Education for a family program, and am looking for statistics regarding the numbers of individuals with diabetes in Arkansas and Oklahoma - by age groups would be terrific. How might I obtain that information? (8 Jun 97)

51. My grandson is three years old. For the last 2 or 3 months, when he eats anything with sugar it just runs right through him. We have checked his urine and it was ok. His sugar was 106 after a 2 hour fast. We are going to check it first thing of a morning. Have you ever heard of sugar giving a child real loose bowel? (8 Jun 97)

52. I have an 8 year old son. He has severe headaches all the time. I have noticed about 40 minutes after a breakfast of pancakes and syrup he has a severe headache and vomits. He is thirsty a lot and gets up at night to get a drink. He is hungry all the time. (8 Jun 97)

53. My sister-in-law has had "Brittle Diabetes" she age 12. Since then she has had a horrible time with diet and the shots. She is now 20 years old, and her excuse for everything has been because of her diabetes. (8 Jun 97)

54. I am 28 and 5 feet tall, 90 lbs before pregnancy. I am now in my third trimester of pregnancy and found out I developed gestational diabetes. My 1-hour glucose tolerance test is 169. The 3-hour test is 199, 198 and 180. Are these numbers high or very high? (8 Jun 97)

55. I am a 26 year old female who was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My question concerns oral contraceptives and their effects on blood sugar levels. Could my blood sugars have been raised due to oral contraception? (8 Jun 97)

56. I have tried for the past 15 months to control my diabetes tightly. I've asked my GP for a pump, he asked the consultant, who says it won't be any good, but if I want one, I can go to a different consultant and get one. Can you think of anything other than a pump that might help? (5 Jun 97)

57. My 2-year-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 eight months ago. Naturally, as a toddler, he is a picky eater. The problem is that he eats virtually no vegetables, and limited protein (only milk and peanut butter). I am concerned for his nutrition. Any suggestions? (5 Jun 97)

58. I am a school psychologist in a district with a new kindergarten student who has diabetes. I don't know what type she has, but the teacher says the student does not take insulin. I've been asked how her diabetes might effect her educationally. (5 Jun 97)

59. I have a B-D pen called the Pen Ultra and it is getting in rough shape and need a new one, but this model apparently have been replaced by a new one. Where can I get the same one that I have now? I have tried B-D's website, local hospitals, and pharmacies, to no avail. Can you give me any other suggestions? (5 Jun 97)

60. I have had Type 1 since I was 5 and am now 29. I have difficulty recognizing any symptoms of low sugar frequently and if I do have symptoms they are sometimes identical to symptoms of high sugar. (5 Jun 97)

61. I have an aunt with Type 1 diabetes. Her daughter has been having the symptoms of diabetes. She has tested her urine for sugar several times with her mother's test strips and it came out positive every time. I was wondering if there could be any other possibility that is causing the tests to come out positive. (5 Jun 97)

62. Has anyone determined what the odds are that children get Type 1 diabetes (without diabetes in the family) and what is the average age of a child with diabetes? (1 Jun 97)

63. Can you explain why a 13 year old girl with juvenile onset diabetes would have difficulty controlling that diabetes as a result of a diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder? What is the relationship of the stress disorder to the diabetes that would make it more difficult to control? (1 Jun 97)

64. Do you have any indication how much money an average person with Type 1 diabetes spends every year in relation to the illness? (1 Jun 97)

65. I want to now if there is any available information about the number of Type 1 diabetics broken down into years with the disease (e.g., the number who have had Type 1 for greater than 30 years and less than 40 years). (1 Jun 97)

66. I just saw a documentary about taking magnesium or food rich with it to reverse the need for insulin supplements. Would anybody care to comment on this? (1 Jun 97)

67. Our daughter, age 20 months, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 15 months. What is the chance of having another child with Type 1 Diabetes? (1 Jun 97)

68. My friend has a 2 year old son who has Downs' Syndrome and has Type 1 diabetes. She is concerned about his blood sugar levels affecting his abilities to function as normal as expected in a child with Downs'. Is there any specific reading materials available concerning diabetes in the Downs' Syndrome child? (1 Jun 97)

69. How many kids with diabetes are also ADHD or ADD? (1 Jun 97)

70. My 8 year old son was diagnosed 5 months ago with diabetes. I've been told to keep up with the insulin even though at times he really does not require any because daily injections of insulin may prolong the honeymoon period. Is there any validity to this? (1 Jun 97)

71. I've heard recently about oral insulin pill available for Type 1s, and I've read recently about an inhaler for insulin dosages. All of this to be available in 1998. Am I hearing things? (1 Jun 97)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts