Question:

From Staten Island, New York, USA:

I've heard recently about oral insulin pill available for Type 1s, and I've read recently about an inhaler for insulin dosages. All of this to be available in 1998. Am I hearing things?

Answer:

Yes, you're hearing things. But it's very uncertain these concepts will become available in a year, as you heard, or many years, or never.

The "Oral Insulin Pill" has been a dream for many years; I think it's still being researched for use in therapy. The reason for the recent hype is that there is an arm of the DPT-1 study that is using "oral insulin in the form of a capsule of insulin crystals. (For those who cannot swallow capsules, the crystals can be dissolved in juice.)" (There is more discussion about this at the NIDDK website.)

I also wonder if some of the hype you've heard about insulin pills is about troglitazone, which is a pill for Type 2 diabetes, that was being promoted initially as able to get some Type 2 patients off their insulin shots (about 15% of the Type 2 patients who participated in one study). Troglitazone is being used in the DPP study, to see if it can prevent Type 2 diabetes.

Insulin Inhalers also have been evaluated for years. I haven't heard much recently about them becoming available in the near future.

WWQ