Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

Do you have any indication how much money an average person with Type 1 diabetes spends every year in relation to the illness? I tried the American Diabetes Association, but they couldn't give me an answer.

Answer:

The Metropolitan Life Statistical Bulletin, Volume 78, No. 1 (1997) gives a figure of US$9,493 as the annual cost of health care for a diabetic. I imagine this is mostly to do with Type 2 diabetes, and that it does not include the cost of insurance, lost work time, etc. See also The General Accounting Office, Report 78-48, Medicare Diabetes Care.

I imagine the difficulty you have had in getting figures for Type 1 has to do with the frequent changes in care, especially in relation to the cost of long term complications, and inflation.

DO'B

Additional Comment by Jeff Hitchcock

Here is a very rough estimate of what one Type 1 diabetic (my daughter) might spend in a year, just on diabetes supplies and routine quarterly visits to her endocrinologist. This does not take into account insurance reimbursements and sale prices.

Product Quantity and Price Per Unit Total Cost
Blood Test Strips Average of 5 tests per day at $0.50 per strip
($50 per 100)
$912.50
Lancets Average of 5 tests per day at $0.06 per lancet
($11 per 200)
$109.50
Syringes Average of 3 injections per day at $0.20 per syringe
($20 per 100)
$219.00
Insulin Average of 3 bottles per month at $20 per vial $720.00
Glucose Tablets Average of 6 per week at $1.30 for a pack of 6 $67.60
Clinic Visit with Tests Four per year at $150 per visit $600.00
Total $2,628.60

JSH