Question:

From New Brunswick, Canada:

I have an aunt with Type 1 diabetes. Her daughter, my cousin, (19 and overweight) has been having the symptoms of diabetes but has since been told by her doctor that her tests were normal. She has tested her urine for sugar several times with her mother's test strips and it came out positive every time. I was wondering if there could be any other possibility that is causing the tests to come out positive. I told her not to worry, should she be?

Answer:

It is possible that your cousin has a normal fasting blood sugar (taken before breakfast), but her blood sugar goes up abnormally high after she eats. I would make sure she has had a blood sugar done 1 hour after eating or discusses with her physician having a glucose tolerance test if this has not already been done.