Question:

From Colorado, USA:

My 2-year-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 eight months ago. Naturally, as a toddler, he is a picky eater. The problem is that he eats virtually no vegetables, and limited protein (only milk and peanut butter). I am concerned for his nutrition. Any suggestions?

Answer:

As you suspect, these are normal behaviors for a two-year-old.

Read Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. It is available from the American Diabetes Association and from Amazon.com.

If you haven't already, you might also consult a pediatric dietitian, preferably one who's also a Certified Diabetes Educator.

SS