From Springfield, Illinois, USA:

I am a 26-year-old who has had Type 1 diabetes for 14 years. My husband and I have decided to try to have a baby. My doctor tells me I'm doing extremely well and there's no reason not to try. However, my doctor also recently switched my insulin to Humalog and now I'm reading (at other places on the Internet!) that Humalog's effects on pregnant women and their babies has not yet been studied. Is it safe? Should I look into switching back to standard insulin?

You are correct in that there are no studies yet of lispro insulin [Humalog®] use during pregnancy. There is anecdotal experience that suggests it is safe. Lilly does not endorse the use of Lispro during pregnancy.

However, I have used it in some select cases. If a woman comes into pregnancy on Lispro and it is working well, then I would not discontinue its use. Until additional data is available, I would only recommend pregnant women switching to Lispro if all other regimens have been tried and failed.

[Editor's comment: The use of lispro insulin (Humalog) in a woman who are about to plan a pregnancy is a decision that she should talk over with her endocrinologist and her obstetrician. We have previously discussed the problem in earlier questions; I have given my present opinion previously. I think that within a year or two, there'll probably be enough information (from situations where women were on lispro during pregnancies) to say if it's safe or not. WWQ]