Question:

Is there any research being done on the safety of Humalog during pregnancy? If not, why? If so, where can I get information on it? This is very important to thousands of diabetic women.

Answer:

I am not aware of any current study on the use of lispro insulin [Humalog®] in pregnancy, although this does not mean it is not ongoing. Drug companies are very reluctant to test drugs during pregnancy for obvious reasons (remember thalidomide). They often rely on case reports and drug registries to receive information about pregnant women who were giving medications outside the standard guidelines. I agree that it is important to study medications during pregnancy but the benefits need to be weighed against the potential risks. I have used Humalog in pregnancy without any apparent ill effects, but only time and experience will tell.