Question:

From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

My 10 year-old son (diagnosed at age 5) has started to get nosebleeds in the middle of the night and a few times at play. Twice I tested his blood sugar during the nose bleed and it was low (58 and 64). I know that lots of sugar in the blood can cause it to become thick. Is the converse true for less sugar in the blood? Can low blood sugar cause the blood to become thin, causing bleeding? All of the non-diabetic members of my family have occasional nosebleeds so I don't want to "overreact" and drag him to the doctor as he is sensitive about me "blaming everything on diabetes."

Answer:

There is no relationship that I know of between blood sugar and nose bleeds. I think that this is just coincidence.