Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

My daughter, age 12, has had two low sugar reactions this week. One very serious (completely comatose) the other not so bad, but still bad enough to warrant a trip to hospital. She recently started on lispro. Is this a common complaint when changing to new insulins?

Answer:

Bad hypos are always alarming and have several causes. Changing to a new insulin is not inherently dangerous but should occasion caution and more blood testing than usual. Lispro insulin [Humalog®] has, if anything, been reported to be less likely to cause hypos with exercise, particularly within a couple of hours after meals. I think that you should discuss the incident with your diabetes team and let them see your daughter's recent blood sugar results to see if any adjustment is necessary.