Question:

From Rhode Island, USA:

My daughter, now 20, was diagnosed 9 years ago. I just heard that 80% of Type 1 diabetics will develop retinopathy by the time they've had diabetes for 15 years and 50% at 10 years. Is this true?

Answer:

Happily the figures are now much more optimistic. If your daughter has been in excellent control up to this point, has no microalbuminuria or evidence of retinal disease, her chances of retinopathy in the future can be as low as 10% for the rest of her life. The crucial factors in achieving this are going to be meticulous control on her part and vigilant supervision especially for eye and kidney problems by her doctor.

DO'B