From Fort Collins, Colorado, USA:

My daughter will be three in June and very eager to learn. I am looking for a pre-school for her that will administer shots to her as she might need it. Everywhere I check, the pre-school will check her blood sugars, but no one will give her a shot if she needs it. (If her lunch time blood sugars read over 300 we give her a shot of Regular to bring it down.) Any advice? Am I missing something?

Even if there is a school nurse who will administer insulin coverage at lunch time at school, it can be very difficult to rely on this for a young child who cannot administer insulin herself. If the nurse is out sick, there may be no covering nurse or the substitute nurse may not be familiar with your child's standing orders.

If you do want the school to administer insulin at lunch time, it might be easier to provide a pen injector, such as the NovoPen 1.5 or B-D Pen, containing an insulin cartridge to "dial up the dose." Cartridges are available containing both Regular and Humalog insulin. If you do rely on the school nurse to administer insulin, make sure you have a beeper and can come to school if necessary to administer the insulin if the school nurse is out or a substitute nurse unfamiliar with your child is there.