Question:

I am looking for information on skin complications associated with diabetes. My doctors do not have an answer for a "spot" I have on my leg. All tests have come back inconclusive. I am a diabetic of about 20 years.

Answer:

The "spot" may have a number of causes and it is obviously difficult to diagnose by e-mail with any reliability. However, if it is flat and slightly pigmented with distinct margins and some scaliness of the surface, a relatively common diagnosis in diabetics would be Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum. NLD is rather unresponsive to treatment, but some work in England has suggested that Vitamin B6 or nicotinamide may be helpful and you should talk to your doctor about this.

DO'B