Question:

I have recently befriended a diabetic and am concerned about her health. My problem is that she does not appear to be serious about the timing or diet. Though being a layman, I have no idea what is really best for her. She is Type 1 and from what I have seen she takes her shots about 20 minutes or an hour late and takes in sugar and seems almost to rebel against the idea of her having diabetes. I don't really know however what a diabetic can eat or how important it is for her to take her medicine exactly on time everyday, etc., or if it is more important for her to lead a "normal" life. As a friend, should I even bother tell her what is best? I mean, she would know after having it for so long and having a doctor and stuff. I guess it's just the lack of information that causes me to be concerned.

Answer:

I am impressed that you care enough about your friend to write. You are correct that your friend should take her diabetes seriously but she will know this. Probably the best thing that you can do is to gently encourage her and to reassure her that her diabetes doesn't interfere with your friendship. It's also worth reminding her about the importance of attending clinic regularly. Don't nag her because she probably has enough people doing that already.