Question:

From Wyoming, USA:

My son was diagnosed two months ago, just a couple of weeks before his second birthday. We saw a dietitian briefly at the hospital, and I have spoken with the dietitian at our pediatrician's office once for about 10 minutes. Is this normally all the dietary instruction a parent receives? It seems we are learning everything on our own, by trial and error, with our poor toddler as the subject of our experimental learning. Is the "sink or swim" method of dietary education the norm?

Answer:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Tell your doctor you need more advice. If he/she can't supply the needed help, switch doctors. (By the way, I strongly feel that all patients with diabetes, no matter what their age, should have routine access to a diabetes dietitian, preferably one with the C.D.E. credentials. And I also believe that all kids with diabetes should be followed by a pediatric endocrinologist, as well as their primary care physician.)

WWQ