Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

Why is it that diabetics aren't always told that a high-fibre diet can help to lower blood sugar levels as well as lessen the amounts of insulin needed? I know these results from my personal experiences. Also, the uses of trace minerals have helped me (selenium, vanadium, and chromium).

Answer:

According to experience in my country, patients are quite often told about the importance of fibers, differences among fibers, amount of fiber needed in daily diet for the dietary management of diabetes and blood lipid disorders. Their correct use can lead to a better metabolic control, as you report in your personal experience, even leading to a reduction of tablets and/or insulin, and there have been controlled studies to support their effectiveness. Similar dietary guidelines have been also recommended by American Diabetes Association:

FIBER -- Dietary fiber may be beneficial in treating or preventing several gastrointestinal disorders, including colon cancer, and large amounts of soluble fiber have a beneficial effect on serum lipids. There is no reason to believe that people with diabetes would be more or less amenable to these effects than those without diabetes. Although selected soluble fibers are capable of delaying glucose absorption from the small intestine, the effect of dietary fiber on glycemic control is probably insignificant. Therefore, fiber intake recommendations for people with diabetes are the same as for the general population. Daily consumption of a diet containing 20­35 g dietary fiber from a wide variety of food sources is recommended.
Diabetes Care, Volume 20 Supplement 1. American Diabetes Association: Clinical Practice Recommendations 1997

Trace minerals are not recommended if you eat a normal diet.