From Monterrey, Mexico:

I am 18 years old and live in Monterrey, Mexico. I am stuter, and I have a girlfriend (who is 17 years old) that has diabetes and there are days that she gets angry and doesn't want to eat, and I don't know how to make her understand that she needs to eat. There are days when she gets angry with me and doesn't even want to speak to me but yes she eats but I'm afraid that one day she will get angry with her sisters and won't want to eat and I won't be there to convince her that she must eat (because at times only I can get her to understand that she must eat) and I would like to know what would happen if one day she didn't eat one of the 3 meals.

Another thing that I would like to ask you is if you know how often are the (diabetes) camps here in Monterrey and what is needed to get into them and how many days do they last. Another question I have is about if pancreas transplants can be done or islet cell transplants because yesterday I read about a calf that they had one and then it didn't need insulin injections. I don't know if you can send me some places where this operation can be done, what risks there are and how much the operation costs.

I thank you beforehand for your attention.

I am impressed that you care enough about your friend to write to us at Children with Diabetes. You are correct that your friend should take her diabetes seriously but she will know this. Probably the best thing that you can do is to gently encourage her and to reassure her that her diabetes doesn't interfere with your relationship. It's also worth reminding her about the importance of attending clinic regularly. Don't nag her because she probably has enough people doing that already.

As regards transplants - forget it - they are still very experimental.

[Editor's comment: This question came to us in Spanish; thanks to Tom Bartol for the translation. I'm sorry that we don't have information about diabetes camps in Mexico; to find out about diabetes camps in most parts of the world, I'd suggest you contact a nearby diabetes association. WWQ]