From Mobile, Alabama, USA:

I am 28 years old, insulin dependent for 12 1/2 years. I exercise a lot and have gotten my body fat down to about 14.6 percent. In the past few months, when I do my shots in the front and inner part of my thighs and in my lower abdomen I get raised red areas that are fairly sore to touch. They go away after a few days. I am wondering what is causing these raised areas to develop. I have tried to watch the angle I inject, making sure I am not getting "bleeders", etc. Do you have any suggestions how to stop or prevent them?

Some thoughts to help:

1. Try using the B-D Ultra Fine II Short Needle Syringe.
  2. Use hips and other areas that have more fat.
  3. Don't reuse your syringes, if you are.
  4. If you're taking aspirin more than once a week, it will contribute to bruising at injection sites.
  5. Demonstrate your technique to your diabetes nurse educator, and see if he/she notices anything that might be contributing.