From Prodigy:

My daughter complained of severe joint pain right before she was diagnosed with diabetes. She was only 2 1/2 at the time and I don't think that it was growing pains. Since then I've talked to other parents of diabetics who told me the same thing. My daughter's endocrinologist, however, refused to make a connection between diabetes and joint pain. Could there be a connection, and if so what?

Joint pain is not normally associated with the onset of clinical diabetes. It is, of course, true that some forms of arthritis are due to an autoimmune disorder as is Type 1 Diabetes; but the two processes have not so far been linked.

One explanation in your daughters case is that she had a subclinical infection at the time of onset which produced both a 'reactive' arthralgia [joint pains] as well as enough further destruction of islet tissue to make her clinically diabetic.