From Erie County, Pennsylvania, USA:

After 36 years of injecting as a Type 1, I have areas of my body that have indentations and also "bumps." Even when I am not injecting into these areas any more, they remain the same. Will I have these forever? Is there anything I can do to even them out? I have done the rotations and exercise, but to no avail. I have been a diabetic from the age of 5 years and any relief would be great!

Obviously we can't see the bumps and indentations you mention, but here are some thoughts:

You did not mention the type of insulin you are taking. If it is animal source insulin, the indentations may be areas of lipoatrophy. These areas look like dimples in the skin, usually in injection sites. Lipoatrophy would be less likely, but still a remote possibility, if you are taking human insulin. Atrophy is not seen very often in patients taking human insulin, but a few cases have been reported.

If you have hypertrophy, or thickness at the injection sites, then making sure you are not injecting too often in any area will help. You did mention that you are careful about your injection sites. It usually takes a few months to go away when you avoiding injecting in the hypertrophied areas. We would advise you to see a health care professional with experience in diabetes.