From America On Line:

Is there a way to give insulin more accurately? Does it call for an insulin pump? Where I can look to buy one or find the price? Who can I contact to get information?

Most centers suggest trying to establish good control with an 'intensive' insulin regimen first (3 shots a day before meals plus one long acting injection in the morning or at night). If this is successful it may be justified to go to the considerable expense, but the increased flexibility, of a pump. Control on a pump can certainly be excellent; but there are also disadvantages if you are active in some sports. When you start to use a pump you will also certainly need the support of both a physician and a nurse educator who are experienced in this approach.

[Editor's comment: For more information about insulin pumps, see the Insulin Pumps webpage. WWQ]