Question:

From Michigan, USA:

I have a five year old daughter who experiences many hypoglycemic episodes, passing out three times in the past year. We have had a 5 hour glucose tolerance test done, that proved to be fine. When she has episodes of low, she is white as a sheet, sweats profusely, trembles, and cries that her stomach hurts. I have taken her to a pediatric endocrinologist on the advice of our pediatrician, and did not feel we were taken seriously, as our daughter is and appears to be very healthy. There were no tests, not even a blood sugar taken. We were told to use a monitor when these situations occurred, and rarely use it, only if she is chalky in color(appearing to pass out) and the lowest range we have gotten has been between 70 and 80. I have been told the general guide for lows, and also that each individual vary on what will be low for them, is this accurate? She also has at times of arms and legs hurting, along with a tummy ache, but no paleness or sweating, and I have checked her sugar and had readings at 180 and higher, her symptoms disappear as soon as the level goes down.

We have basically kept her on a diet level goes down.

We have basically kept her on a diet that includes no sugar (or little) and small frequent meals, this seems to work well, but this morning after about 10 minutes after rising, she complained of her tummy, and was whining that she didn't feel well, this hasn't happened in some 6 months, turned deathly chalky (very scary to view for a mother) and sweat pouring and trembling, very lethargic. Her sugar was 80, and after ingesting juice, about 15 minutes she was fine. I am a frustrated parent who is looking for some possible answers, and we have a history of second degree relatives with diabetes.

Sorry to ramble, but just wanted to give you as much info as possible, and just wondering, should there be any other tests done to look to see if this is something other than hypoglycemia? The pediatric endocrinologist that we visited last year did nothing, and when I contacted her last fall involving another episode, she told me to take her to her pediatrician, who in turn t1>Answer:

Your daughter needs to have a blood sugar taken when she is having symptoms. If the blood sugar is low in a properly collected and processed specimen sent to a laboratory, further evaluation is necessary to rule out problems such as deficiency of cortisol or growth hormone. If she has had seizures with low blood sugars, a thorough evaluation for hormonal problems is indicated. If she has cortisol or growth hormone deficiency, she could become quite sick if she develops a fever or stomach virus.