Question:

From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

I have a 10 year old sister who has always bruised very easy, is very hyperactive and very easily gets moody and very angry when she gets a little bit hungry. Where ever we go we need to make sure we have something for her to eat! She had a diabetes test done when she was about two years old but the doctor said it was fine. Since then she has had several blood tests taken because she has been on Ritalin since she was five. One test taken three years ago came back okay except her triglyceride level was 308 and according to the chart the normal is 30-150. The second test taken two years ago showed her triglyceride level to be 235. None of the doctors showed any concern.

I would like to know if we should be concerned about her developing diabetes. Her grandmother on my mom's side has hypoglycemia and her great-grandmother on my mom's side is insulin dependent. Please let me know if triglyceride levels play any part in diabetes.

Answer:

I agree with your sister's doctors that fasting triglyceride levels of around 200 mg/dl in a 10 year old girl are of no importance, unless she has a family history of hyperlipemia and/or cardiovascular diseases.

It is exceedingly improbable that high triglyceride levels would have any role in predisposing your sister's developing Type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. It is especially in childhood cases that autoantibodies are found, quite often a relatively long time before clinical appearance of the disease: it is now very easy in the US to test for these antibodies to determine whether a child is going to get Type 1 diabetes. How this happens is still not understood, which is why so many researchers around the world are working in finding its cause(s).