Question:

From Nairobi, Kenya:

I am 34 and am diabetic for the last 14 years. Previously I used to take plain twice a day 20 units (40u) twice, but, on advice of my doctor, I switched over to Lente 40 units (40u) once a day with 1/2 Daonil [a sulfonylurea medication] twice a day. My problem is my sugar level in the evenings are not stable. Sometimes I have to take plain insulin at night. Lente renders mild pain and swelling on the site of injection. Also I want to use Novopen or Jet as I am tired of injections. Can you suggest to me an alternative to Lente (something painless, and single long acting dose) and availability of pens or jets in India or Kenya. Thanks.

Answer:

It won't be possible to get a long acting insulin via a pen because of the molecular structure of these insulins. Medium acting insulin such as Insulatard is available in pen form and it may be possible to improve your control by using such a preparation twice a day with/without oral hypoglycaemic agents.