Question:

From Wilmington, North Carolina, USA:

My 7-year old granddaughter in Texas was diagnosed last week with Type 1. What does a child that age need most in the way of support, besides love and care and a programmable watch? In other words, what should I be doing to help her get through these first few weeks? Thank you for your time.

Answer:

As a grandparent you have already outlined your main role. However, I expect that you look after your granddaughter from time to time so you should participate in the education process about diet and blood sugar testing. If you care for her overnight then you should (in time) learn about giving injections and you should certainly find out about what to do if she has a hypo (low blood sugar). What is most important to her is that she realises that despite her diabetes, your relationship hasn't changed.

[Editor's comment: Parents of children with diabetes need an occasional break from diabetes care. As a parent of a child with diabetes, I encourage you to play an active role in your granddaughter's life, including taking care of her overnight, every now and then. Your reward will be a closer relationship with your granddaughter and her parents. JSH.]