Question:

From New Zealand:

My oldest son is 10 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 5. We have had lots of conflicting information regarding the importance of testing for ketones. Is it important? Why? When should we test?

Answer:

Testing for ketones is important for people with Type 1 diabetes such as your son because it is an indication that something might be going on, such as stress or illness. Ketones are actually formed when the body breaks down its own fat for energy. The times to check would be when blood sugars are 250 mg/dl (13.9 mmol/l) or higher for two consecutive readings, any time your son does not feel well, and I also recommend at least two days per week. Of course, notify your son's diabetes team of any positive findings.

MHS

Additional Comment from Dr. Lebinger:

Ketones in the first morning urine without an elevated blood sugar can sometimes be an indication that there was an asymptomatic low hours earlier during sleep.