Question:

From South Carolina, USA:

I have a concern with my child (Type 1) drinking a lot aybe four diet sodas a day. You responded earlier that "tooth decay is common in children with diabetes, partly because they often drink large quantities of fizzy drinks. Even the sugar free versions are acidic and destroy tooth enamel". What other canned diet drinks do you suggest? How do we identify diet drinks that are harmful to teeth? What diet drinks do you suggest besides water?

Answer:

All carbonated drinks are acidic because they are made fizzy with carbon dioxide which becomes carbonic acid in solution. The best answer is to ensure regular teeth brushing and/or chewing dental gum. Apples are good too -- for diabetes and teeth.