From Louisiana, USA:

I am a 39 year old female who was diagnosed 4 years ago with N of a sulfonylurea medication for Type 2 diabetes] with a A1c level of 5.8. Two months ago I was switched to Rezulin 200mg [a low dose of another type of medication for Type 2 diabetes] daily. My fasting blood sugar is now 120's and evening blood sugar 140-170. I am lean (110 pounds), and have hypothyroidism. I would like to know if I am really Type 2 or early Type 1. I have never had a C-peptide or ICA test done.

Your lean body size, plus the presence of another endocrine disorder, hypothyroidism, might suggest that you have a tendency to autoimmune disorders, including the possibility that you have slowly-evolving Type 1 diabetes.

However, you are doing well on low doses of oral agents that would ordinarily be expected to work only if you have continuing pancreatic insulin production, which points to either Type 2, or slowly-evolving Type 1 diabetes. Time will tell, or if you want to spend the money to perhaps learn sooner (if testing shows that you have antibodies), you could get both diabetes antibody studies, and thyroid antibody studies. But please understand that the therapeutic recommendations won't change if you do (or don't) have antibodies: stay on a meal plan, stay active, control stress when possible, and use whatever medications seem to work, either pills or insulin. (And stay on your thyroid hormone therapy, and doublecheck now and then that the dose is correct by checking thyroid blood tests.)

Finally, you may want to look at the new terminology for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.