Question:

From Iowa, USA:

I am working on any way to lengthen my son's honeymoon period. Did the drug "Imuran" ever prove helpful in maintaining diabetes, or were there nasty side effects? How can the actress Halle Berry avoid insulin through the use of herbs? Do the ones that boost the immune system help? Also, I was told Nutrasweet weakens the immune system. Is this true at all?

Answer:

1. Many immunomodifying drugs have been tried to see if they will prolong the honeymoon period. These include steroids, imuran, cyclosporin, nicotinamide, B.C.G., etc. They didn't work except for cyclosporin where the effect was transitory and nephrotoxic [damaging to the kidneys].

2. There is no evidence that herbal remedies modify the immune process in Type 1 Diabetes despite the many claims to the contrary. There is some evidence that these preparations may avert microvascular disease and at least one large scale trial is underway to establish the truth of this.

3. Nutrasweet is a dipeptide [two amino acids hooked together] and there is no evidence that it impairs the immune system.

DO'B