From Southeast of Seattle, Washington, USA:

I have a 13 year old son who developed Type 1 diabetes when he was 7. I have been noticing lately that his eyes seem red and dry, and thought perhaps that was related to seasonal allergies. Last week I heard a bit of a news story about something called CT112 that might help dry eyes developing in people with diabetes because it blocks the formation of alcohol in the eye. I was wondering if this is a problem I should bring up with his doctor. Did I understand the news story correctly? Is there such a thing as CT112? Are children with diabetes troubled by dry eyes due to alcohol formation? How can I prevent this from happening?

CT112 must be very new indeed; but of course science journalists sometimes get information before the rest of us as anyone who reads Tuesday's New York Times will confirm! I found no reference to it in MEDLINE, which is the index of the National Library of Medicine, and I talked to our ophthalmologist and he had not yet heard of it. However he did say that he did not think that your son's eye problems were specifically due to his diabetes. We also wondered if this new drug was to prevent not alcohol, as in gin and tonic; but sugar alcohol formation, e.g. sorbitol. Drugs like this are being much investigated for their role in the prevention of microangiopathy and especially neuropathy in diabetes.