From Apple Valley, California, USA:

Recently my husband had a critical low blood sugar episode (blood glucose of 28 mg/dl [1.6 mmol/l]) and I ended up calling the paramedics. I'm afraid that one day he'll have an episode like this when my children are alone with him, and they won't know what to do. (Often he doesn't know when his blood sugar level is dropping.)

Do you have a plan, a checklist maybe, that an 8 year old alone could follow, in case she suspects that Dad is having a low blood sugar attack? Thanks!

I would recommend that an eight year old be instructed to call an emergency phone number, such as 911, for a severe hypoglycemic episode. I would not recommend having an 8 year old be responsible for more than that in the event of a convulsion or unconscious episode.

You could teach your son to recognize a low before it got to the severe stage, and what to do for lows.

Children are affected when a parent has a severe low. It is important to explain to children about hypoglycemia. Many kids may have fears and concerns which they need to express.