Question:

I hear Rezulin actually works. Would you know if this would be good for juvenile diabetics? My son is going to be 16 and is taking what I believe to be relatively small amounts of insulin by injection.

Answer:

Rezulin (brand name for troglitazone) is a diabetes pill that is officially approved by the FDA for use in Type 2 diabetes when the diabetes remains uncontrolled despite two or more shots of insulin daily. It also is being used in the DPP study, to see if it can prevent Type 2 diabetes. Many adult endocrinologists are using it "off-label" (for treatment of Type 2 patients who don't meet the strict FDA guidelines mentioned above), and find that it's very useful in controlling blood sugar in many patients, when used together with meal planning, an exercise program, and other diabetes pills and/or insulin.

There is no information to indicate that troglitazone would be useful in typical Type 1 diabetes, and indeed it seems to need some insulin around for it to work at all.

There is interest in using it in rare pediatric and adult cases where there is very severe insulin resistance. In these situations, which require huge doses of insulin daily for control, there might be lessened need for insulin if troglitazone were added. Clinical studies are underway in pediatric diabetes centers to evaluate troglitazone's usefulness in these cases.

Finally, it should also be pointed out that this drug has only been used in humans for a few years, and the long term effects (if any) are unknown.

WWQ