From Pennsylvania, USA:

My son is turning 12. He wants to learn how to self inject, and so we're considering different injection options. He's not afraid of needles, but seems a little uncomfortable with the idea of loading a syringe by himself. Any advice on which type of injection device to use or if I should help him learn the traditional syringe method first?

Many 12 year olds draw up their own insulin and give heir own injections. Developmentally, kids are able to perform these tasks at about age 8. The mistake that many parents make is to completely transfer these responsibilities to the child when s/he is able to do them.

Parents should draw and give the insulin periodically to give the child a "break" from the responsibility, while continuing to encourage self-care behaviors. All insulin doses, whether given by an adult or child, should always be doublechecked by another person. (In most hospitals, even nurses have doses verified by a second person.) The Inject-Ease® may make the transfer easier.