Question:

From Bloomington, Indiana, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 18 years and have no problems taking my injections. I would, however, like to know how far the development of the implanted insulin pump is. Is there a reliable model yet?

Answer:

The MiniMed company seems the most likely to get approval for an implantable insulin pump in the USA. Their implantable pump has been tested extensively, and is undergoing even more evaluation to obtain FDA approval. See The MiniMed 2001 Implantable Insulin Pump for more information.

Parents of children with diabetes who are reading this question and answer should note that MiniMed points out:

"The MiniMed 2001 Implantable Insulin Pump has only been tested in adults. The youngest European patient was 17 years old. Due to the size of the pump (approximately 3 inches wide and 0.8 inches thick) and its weight when filled with insulin, it would be difficult for a small child to support. Because of the size constraints, MiniMed cannot recommend implantation of the pump in children."

WWQ