Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

Is there a difference in the glucose readings from a plasma test and the test I do with my One Touch Basic? The new guidelines have made me curious about this.

Answer:

The One Touch Basic meter will be measuring whole blood (the fluid of the blood and the cells). Plasma glucose is usually slightly higher than whole blood. For example, the value of 200 mg/dl plasma would compare to approximately 180 mg/dl whole blood. The value of 126 mg/dl plasma would be approximately 110 mg/dl whole blood.

However, other factors, such as when you have last eaten, will affect the comparison of blood drawn from a vein to the blood in your finger. Also remember that the home meters are not as accurate as a laboratory value. The home meters are fantastic for telling people with diabetes whether they are low, in range, or higher than their blood sugar goal. But if you are making a diagnosis of diabetes, or trying to document a true low blood sugar in a person without diabetes, then a laboratory test would be necessary.

LM