Question:

From Washington, D.C., USA:

My son is 15 and has had Type 1 for two years. He seems to become dehydrated frequently in hot weather which seems to push his blood sugars up. His overall control is good with HBA1C level around 7.2%. Drinking several glasses of water will quickly bring his blood sugars into range. We encourage him to drink water all day long, but I wonder if this is a common problem for Type 1's. Does diabetes make one more vulnerable to heat related dehydration?

Answer:

Diabetes can affect many tissues and organs of the body but I never read or met (and believe me, Sardinia is a very hot island during summertime!) a diabetic adolescent of 15 years in good metabolic control and good physical conditions suffering of heat related dehydration unless he's vomiting, having diarrhea, or very high fever.