Question:

From Michigan, USA:

I am a 16 year old male who has had Type 1 since age 4. This is somewhat personal, but I am to embarrassed to ask a doctor, in person, this question. Puberty started for me when I was 13 years old. I am now 16, and have noticed that my genitals (especially my testicles) are very small compared to the other boys my age. I was wondering if diabetes may be the cause of this slow growth.

Answer:

Diabetes, when in good metabolic control, doesn't affect the normal growth and final size of genitalia. You should hide your embarrassment and talk with your doctor, who may refer you to a pediatric endocrinologist.