Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

My 6 year old son has had high and low blood sugars for 3 years, without medication. If he gets an infection such as tonsillitis or even a mild flu he passes blood in his urine. This is when his blood sugar goes high also. He then goes off his food and he continues to have 3+ ketones and major blood in his urine for at least 3 days. So far he is monitored every 3 months but with no consistent results. He had a renal ultrasound that came back normal. Any suggestions?

Answer:

Without knowing more I can't be certain, but I think your son has a condition known as IgA nephropathy - a common and benign condition associated with blood in the urine at the time of viral infections. It is not associated in any way with diabetes. Since you don't give any blood sugar values I can't comment on these.

Ketones in the urine at the time of a viral illness is not an abnormal finding in any child.