From Alberta, Canada:

A mother of an eleven-year-old girl with diabetes asked me about insulin resistance in Type 1 diabetes. I have only seen information about insulin resistance in Type 2. Can insulin resistance be an issue in Type 1, and if so, under what conditions and what are the implications?

Insulin resistance is quite a problem in puberty because of the hormonal milieu that this sets up. Growth hormone, cortisol and the sex hormones are all essentially "anti-insulin" in that they push up blood sugars. The result is that the insulin doses required during puberty can rise dramatically. Other causes of insulin resistance in childhood (e.g., high titer insulin antibodies), are rare.