Question:

From Mesa, Arizona, USA:

My mother is a 55 year old diabetic also has a hiatal hernia, sarcoid scarring of the lungs, arthritis, degenerative disks, congestive heart trouble, and fibromyalgia. My question is where can we go to get a diet or information on things she can eat? When one thing is happy the other is hurting. Please help.

Answer:

Simply put, it is my strong belief that all people with diabetes should have the opportunity to review their meal plan with a knowledgeable diabetes dietitian. Clearly, your mom's situation demands the services of a dietitian!

There are several ways to find a dietitian:

• Ask your mom's physician for names of dietitians he/she uses.
  • Call the nearest hospital, and talk to either the Coordinator of the Diabetes Program, the Diabetes Nurse Educator, or the Dietary Department. (There's a list of Recognized Diabetes Programs available on the Internet, and in some issues of the Diabetes Forecast magazine.)
  • Contact your local Affiliate of the American Diabetes Association.

WWQ