Question:

Do diabetics sustain worse bruises than non-diabetics? My daughter, who will be 3 next month, was diagnosed at age 15 months. I'm referring to falls and bumps, not bruises from injections.

Answer:

Children with diabetes don't bruise more than children without diabetes. If your daughter has a lot of bruising, it would be worthwhile to mention it to her primary care team.

If you are also asking about wounds healing in children with diabetes, kids with diabetes heal fine, unless they have very high blood sugars. If someone with diabetes has a problem with circulation and feeling, then wound healing could be a problem. This latter condition is not seen in children, and with improved treatment of diabetes we hope to see this less and less in adults. Special foot care (other than common sense) is not necessary in children.

LM