Question:

From Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA:

I am a 16 year old male with Type 1 diabetes. I have had diabetes since I was 4. My blood sugars are mostly good during the day, and night, except when I wake up in the morning. I have tried more insulin and snacks before bed but still wake up with high blood sugars. Also, before I go to sleep, I usually have good blood sugars (190 - 150). I was wondering if you might suggest another way to reduce these high morning blood sugars.

Answer:

You don't tell us what insulin you are using but the problem of high sugars in the morning is a common one in boys your age. Very often, the difficulty is that the levels of hormones necessary for growth and development are at a high level early in the morning and push up blood sugars before breakfast. Any attempt to increase insulin at 5 or 6 P.M. results in hypos in the late evening.

One way around this is to split the evening insulin into two parts with Regular at 5 or 6 P.M. and NPH before bed. Another alternative is multiple injection therapy with Regular before meals and NPH at bedtime. You should discuss these possibilities with your diabetes team (show them your blood sugar results).