Question:

From Flushing, New York, USA:

I read about a person on a self-regulating insulin program, but it did not go into detail about it. Have you heard of such a program? If so, please tell me where I can send for information. Thanks.

Answer:

There are a number of computer systems in the U.S. in which participants call in blood sugar levels on a daily basis and where modifications of insulin dose are suggested on the basis of a physician-set algorithm. This does require a local center, or one with an 800 line that has the necessary hardware and software. They seem to work well for computer literate and fairly stable insulin dependant diabetics; but so far as I know do not yet have the capacity to work with pumps. One of the best known systems is that developed by Dr. Michael Albisser in Miami.

DO'B