Question:

From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

How often each day should I use my blood glucose meter? Right now I use it at least once a day. And that is right before breakfast. I am averaging 133. My numbers are really in line when I play ice hockey the night before or some other hard exercise. Moderate exercise just doesn't get the job done.

My numbers seem to be dropping as I am losing more weight. Is there a correlation?

Thanks for your help!

Answer:

You didn't mention what kind of diabetes you have, but my response would be similar with regards to blood glucose monitoring. I recommend that people with diabetes do as much monitoring as needed, and as much as they can handle. Usually this would mean getting a picture of the whole day by checking at varying times of day. Right now you are only seeing your fasting readings. If you take insulin and different kinds of insulin you won't be seeing their effects.

We would usually start by having you check before meals and at bedtime. You can do middle-of-the-night readings to look for unrecognized hypoglycemia. Check when you feel low, and you may want to check how certain foods affect your blood sugar by checking after meals.

The important thing about checking is to use the information! Find out if you are on the right regimen for your diabetes, and how to adjust day to day. Talk to a diabetes educator or endocrinologist to get you started.

With regard to your question about weight loss, weight loss can change your insulin or medication requirements. If the weight loss is from exercise and healthy eating, congratulations! If you don't know why you've lost weight, start by looking at your blood sugars through the day, and also speak to your diabetes team.

LM