Question:

From Palm Harbor, Florida, USA:

My four year old daughter's insulin arrived via UPS coming from Orlando, Florida, arriving at our home in Palm Harbor. It is not refrigerated and the temperature today is 95 F, plus the Florida humidity. The box was hot. I was told by the pharmacist that two days during shipping will not hurt the insulin and, when they receive it, it is also not refrigerated. It was on the truck for at least 36 hours and the outside temperatures during that time varied from 76-96. This does not even take into consideration the temperature of the truck. I was told that our insurance doesn't cover medicine to be refrigerated since it does not need it. What is your opinion? Will this harm the potency of the insulin? She is only on N.

Answer:

I would definitely call the pharmacy that shipped the insulin to you and ask for new bottles shipped under refrigerated conditions. I definitely would not use the bottles you received. Insulin is stable out of the refrigerator for one month if kept below 86 degrees F and not allowed to freeze. Above or below these temperatures, insulin may lose potency or "spoil." If the pharmacy gives you a hard time, contact the insulin company directly for advice.